35 years ago today, 18 August 1980, the Romanian Ministry of Interior approved Action Plan Nr. 225/f.9/0025323 against Radio Free Europe and its staff. This Action Plan has the only known direct reference to the planning of the eventual bombing of RFER/RL by Carlos the Jackal six months later.
Here are some excerpts:
· Training collaborator Danciu from Romania, electronic engineer, in order to send him abroad. He will infiltrate RFE with the mission to destroy the radio's facilities and buildings. Deadline 15 Feb., 1981.
· Informant Barta Geza's reactivation (Germany), mechanic, who repairs cars for some RFE employees; his mission will be to manipulate the cars so that they may become susceptible to making accidents. Deadline: 31 Dec. 1980.
· By using informants: Riva, Protopopescu, Kraus, Barta Geza and others we will analyze the radio's buildings and facilities, its security system, its vulnerable places in order to find the appropriate means to damage and destroy the buildings and facilities by detonating explosives and committing arson. On the other hand, we will select the persons apt to perform these special actions. By Dec. 31, 1980 we will have tabled the proposals concerning the operation.
· Identification of the employees' homes, examination of possibilities to break into them in order to place containers with explosives, letters and bogus parcels which would cause explosions. For each case there will be a special variant of action. Permanent task.
· Identification of the garages where RFE employees park their cars or have their cars repaired. The aim: placing explosives or manipulating the cars so that they may cause serious accidents. Permanent task.
· Identification of restaurants and brothels frequented by RFE employees, where we could frame a scandal during which RFE employees may get molested. Permanent task.